How does one go from blowing out the sprinklers to losing a room in your house? I'll explain! My illustrious husband had good intentions of blowing out the sprinklers on Saturday and boy that was a learning experience. He ended up blowing two valves because he had the pressure up too high on his compressor. No sweat for the handy man though. A few tools and Matt's handy man hands later the valves are fixed. Our turn off switch for the sprinklers is located in our office downstairs and upon moving in the house it was pointed out to us that some of the paint was bubbling up but the area was not showing any moisture. So we didn't think anything of it. When Matt went to turn the water off he noticed the valve was leaking again and found a warped O ring in there. When he went to investigate a little deeper in the wall it was covered in mold. He decided to take just a little portion of the wall out to see how far it went back. 4 hours later he comes up and said you don't want to see what I did to the office. I asked what did you do? He told me I was going to cry if I saw it. The door was sealed off so I was looking from outside the window and half of my walls were completely gone. The sheet rock and insulation were gone with the studs showing. He had found mold on the sheet rock and insulation. It wasn't as bad as Matt was making it out to be but my walls are gone. I actually was the one staying calm. The only thing I said was "Well, you always wanted a home you could finish...now here's your chance". So we're kicked out of the downstairs until hubby can get the mold situation taken care of and the walls finished. Joy is everywhere!
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 Special Comments:
Good luck my dear!!!! Sounds like you guys are going to be quite busy the next few weekends. Hope it goes well for you and doesn't eat up your holiday budget.... Merry Christmas honey, I got you a wall!
Oh, I'm so sorry! At least it wasn't raw sewage and drain-o. That happened once to us once when the sewer pipe downstairs clogged, then burst. Nice.
I am so glad that your hubby is so handy and can fix it himself. At least you don't have to pay someone else to do it. Can you imagine if he had not blown up I mean out the sprinklers, you may have not noticed until the entire room fell over. Good luck!
It's a good thing he can fix things...after all he is an engineer!!!!! Isn't it great to have an engineer around the house that can fix and solve all problems? :)
Oh my word!!! Yes, definitely happy fixing-up, to both of you! ;-) It's good that he found it when he did, too!
Oh no! Glad he caught the mold before it got any worse. Good thing he's a handy man. :)
I tell ya, I just hate water problems. What you think will be just a small project usually ends up magnifying into a big ordeal. Good luck - and use Doug's hands if you need - he's got experience!
I'm glad I'm not the only one in the remodeling mire. If I have to see one more stud...:)
Post a Comment