I had the wonderful opportunity to go to a workshop that featured Julie de Azevedo - Hanks regarding emotional burnout. This was especially a treat for me because I love her music. I cannot tell you how timely this fireside was. Just to hear that I'm not alone and that it's okay to ask for help were things that I needed to be reminded of. I've had a couple of curve balls thrown at me this week on top of trying to be a good wife, mother and Young Women's leader it's been overwhelming but there were some things that I was able to take away from this night that I would like to share.
It's okay to say "no". I know I especially struggle with this. I'm a yes mam and sometimes I need to take a step back and not fill my plate so full that I can't meet all my obligations. Julie went over ways that it's okay to say no and it be an honorable answer.
Something that rang also in my ears was I need to take ownership of my own happiness. I need to remember to do things in my life that I love. I notice that I get down when I'm not doing things that make me happy like scrapbooking, crocheting, quilting, singing and playing the piano. I need to make time for those things in my life because in a sense they define who I am. I told my husband after the fireside that I don't want to live my life with regret for things that I wish I would've done because sometimes I let fear control my life. Fear of failure, fear of success...just plain fear. Fear is what halts me from being truly happy. I heard somewhere that fear and faith cannot exist together.
The last thing I really struggle with is asking and accepting help. I usually think I can do everything on my own and I'm so scared of burdening people with asking for help. But on the flip side I'm more than willing to help anyone out in need so why do I think this way??? A song comes to mind from Michael McLean "I can't do everything". So many times we have this idea that we can do everything and it gets overwhelming...that goes back to the saying no thing so you can be fully available to say yes. Julie made a comment that we always compare ourselves to that girl named "Molly". I have no idea how this stigma came about but I think it's an unconscious burden we as women put on ourselves to be perfect. It's not healthy to compare ourselves to others because chances are the people we are comparing ourselves to are having the same difficulties within their lives. The comment was made that they are just good fakers.
Last thing is it's okay to feel. It's okay to feel angry, sad, mad, happy. Allow yourself to feel these emotions. So many times women keep these emotions in and it affects our health and emotional well being.
These are just some thoughts that were running through my mind. I know everyone can identify with them. We as women need to stand strong and sustain each other in our difficult but worthwhile roles as wives, mothers and sisters. We are not meant to travel this road alone.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 Special Comments:
Great things to think about. Thanks for sharing. Love the story about the geyser. Yes, you will laugh about it...and sooner than when you're in heaven! jensonfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
You are so insightful Deb! I appreciate your comments and wish I could have been there. It sounds like something I could have used lately. Thanks, Beth
It sounds like it was an amazing fireside. The thoughts you shared are so true.
I love going to firesides for that very purpose of hearing someone talk about the things they've learned in life. It helps us realize that we're not alone in the journey, and sometimes through others our prayers are answered. Love ya, Deb!
Gosh, I totally needed to hear that! Thanks for blogging it.
Great comments thank you for sharing!!!
Post a Comment