Saturday, May 14, 2011

Not exactly the weekend I envisioned

There is a reality that happens when you become a parent.  And only a reality that a parent can understand...if you have something planned when you throw kids in the mix it will never end up the way that was originally planned.  Despite the kind of weekend we've had the kids have been relatively good.  We have had to be flexible and they have had to be flexible.

Buddy guy got sick mid week...throwing up, diarrhea...the whole bit.  He seemed to be doing well by Friday so we decided to continue with our plans to stay the whole weekend in Clifton.  I was still leery of traveling because buddy guy's system is not back to normal but we went anyway.  And what I knew was going to happen, happened.  He had a horrid mess halfway through the trip while stuck in an accident on the freeway not moving...soaking all his blankets, himself and the carseat.  After being creative and finding things to clean him up with and trying to keep him warm for the hour we had left, finally finding his binky in the dirt on the ground after losing it during the mess we were on our way.  Three hours later we finally make it to Clifton(it's only a 2 hour trip) and we get settled in and Matt starts not to feel well.  He got a version of what Mason has been dealing with.  So I was up with him and Mason all night taking care of them.  Hopefully this is only a boy germ thing.

In the morning we were able to get Matt comfortable and we even squeezed in a four wheeler ride to the Basin which was absolutely beautiful and the girls got to play near the spring run off from the mountain.  So the weekend wasn't totally lost.  When we got back to the house I saw dad mowing the back forty(so we call it) and asked if I could pretend I was a farm girl and mow the last acre.  That was the most fun I've had in a long time.  Riding mowers ROCK!  We fed the wild welfare cats left over food and decided to dramatically cut our trip short because buddy and daddy weren't doing all too great.

Sometimes things happen like this and you got to make the most of it even if the situation is not the most welcomed.  No need to feel sorry or whatever this was just my weekend.  It is what it is.  These kind of weekends make you appreciate when everyone is well and functioning.  I just wish we could've stayed a little longer.  

3 Special Comments:

Undaunted said...

Yea, it is amazing how our best laid plans turn to crapola when you throw a kid or two into the mix. You did great anyway and this will make for some fun family memories.

Shelley Gee said...

That sounds like my weekends except I am the kid and the parent :D

Unknown said...

Heh... hope the Murdock Men are feeling better now! And that the lovely ladies of Chez Murdock have managed to avoid the bug...

It really is funny how MANY variables kids (or even other adults) can add to the mix, LOL... I'm not a huge scheduler (i.e., I'm big on minimizing the *quantity* of plans and tightness of schedules), but when the fundamental plan changes, it totally throws me off. Can definitely make for some memorable trips, though! ;)

Hope everyone's healthy soon! :)