I guess I better get finished with our vacation that was 3 weeks ago. Things have been so crazy busy I have 5 minutes to write so I'll hurry and throw this in. After we went to Arches we drove through these amazing rock formations and scary cliffs to a place called Capitol Reef. We took our chances hoping there was going to be an open camp spot in the campground and there was. This ended up being a very enjoyable stay. Capitol Reef was settled in 1880 I believe. The idea was had to have a perfect little community and the people that settled there started diverting rivers in order to water the orchards they had planted. I think it took about 25 years to bear fruit but they have some of the most beautiful cherry, apple and pear orchards I have ever seen. They had a little homestead where you could go in and eat fresh apple pie and an old mercantile. We were camping right next to the orchards. Apples and pears were in season and the rule is you can pick and eat as much as you can consume in the orchard or else you can pay $1 a pound for what you take. We filled our tummies up on apples and pears and was on our way. In the campground there were these dear that weren't afraid of anything. You could get within an arms length of them and they wouldn't budge. There was a river behind our camp and it was so peaceful. It was definitely one of our favorite camp spots.







Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Picture #2 Capitol Reef
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 Special Comments:
I absolutely love your photos, you have a great eye. I can't believe how big Maryn and Macey are getting!
Your trip has really got Doug thinking about vacations for us for next year. Maybe we'll just have to follow suit :)
Post a Comment