This weekend was the Manti Pageant for our youth. I was really excited to be going to this. We met at 2:45 and were on the road about 3:00. Everything was going great until we hit the freeway. About 10 miles into our drive I heard this constant loud noise. First thought it was the semi in front of us. No, that doesn't make sense it sounds like it's inside the car. I turned down the music turned to one of my Laurel's and asked her do you hear that? She was looking around and then I told her I couldn't accelerate. I started to attempt to get to the side of the road but people were not letting me get over. Right when that happened Jordan looked at the same exact moment our tire blew up. No, this is not just a flat, it obliterated! I now have a new tender spot in my heart for all those scrap tires on the road I see when traveling. My heart started to race. I gripped the wheel harder and thank goodness we were on our way to the side of the road. We made it safely and I went to assess the damage. The only thing I could think of is we said a prayer before we left this shouldn't have happened and Matt's gonna kill me! Then again things could have been worse. Thank goodness there wasn't a car to the right of me when the tire blew. I called Bishop who was thankfully not too far behind and in the meanwhile the youth and I were trying to figure out how in the world to use the jack. It was a little tricky. As soon as we got that figured out Bishop showed up. He must have had super human powers because somehow he twisted the metal on the jack. Then after that we realized Matt didn't have the tool in his truck that we needed to get the lug nuts off. Oh boy! So in the 21st century what would any stranded motorist do? Bishop called Triple A. We were there for about an hour with still no help when this guy that had a shop off the freeway was trying to communicate with us. I couldn't understand anything he was saying and feeling very helpless at this point in time. I couldn't even get a hold of my husband. Two of our youth jumped the barrier and jumped the fence and went down to to talk to the guy. Ends up we stalled on the part of the freeway just adjacent to a mechanic shop. He came up with the right tools got the jack working again and switched out the tire within 20 minutes. All through this time I was thinking to myself I wish I would've paid better attention when Matt would work on the car. After hearing the youth sing Kumbayah off of I-15 and any other song they could think of we were on the road again. Another leader was going down at 5:00 which was in about 10 minutes so I met her and dropped off my youth with her so they could still make it to the pageant. They were really good sports about it. At first I was supposed to be staying the night then an emergency at work came up and Matt had to work this whole weekend so I would've had to come back that night. After the tire blew out there was no way I was going anywhere and our trip to Clifton through all this was cancelled. I just don't think I was supposed to go anywhere this weekend. I kept telling myself everything happens for a reason. When Matt and I finally got home from his hectic work day and my crazy experience he told me he felt awful. I was puzzled because why would he feel bad about the tiring blowing out? I guess last weekend he took the girls off roading and was going over some pretty sharp terrain and had a thought to himself if he wasn't careful he was going to blow out both of his tires. I'm just glad my babies weren't with me during this or else I would've been frantic. Thank you to Dwayne the mechanic who helped us out. I asked him if I could pay him for his services and he said no just count it for my good deed for the day. And, thanks Erika and Craig for helping us unwind after our crazy day. And yes, I was able to get some pictures while we were waiting for help. Needed something for our slide show in September.




Friday, June 19, 2009
Manti Pageant
at 6:11 PM
Labels: Young Women
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 Special Comments:
I'm sorry you had such a rough time, and I'm glad you are safe. I hope you get to the pageant next year. I haven't been there for years. Maybe we should plan to go next year?!
Wow, that's scary! Glad everyone is okay!
Dang, that's just crazy! I'm glad the youth still got to go.
Post a Comment