Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mommy Learning Curve

Yesterday night I was trying hard to get everything cleaned up from dinner and I was so focused on that task I almost hurt Maryn's feelings. I was clearing the table off and putting things in the fridge and I put the jelly on the counter so I could shift stuff around. Maryn thought it would be funny to grab the jelly and take off running when I tried to grab the jar to put it back in. Funny to her, annoying to me. She ran around the table and I asked her to come back and give me the glass jar. Second time, Maryn give me the jelly I don't need you breaking glass on the floor. Steam coming out of my head and I raised my voice Maryn bring me back the jelly! So, I preceded to act like a 2 year old and run around the table one way trying to catch her than around the other way then whining like a 2 year old to Matt saying Maryn won't give me back the jelly DO SOMETHING!

Matt just looked at me and said, "Honey, she's 3, everything is a game to her." DING DING DING...why on earth did that not click before. Under my breath I mumbled but I don't feel like playing right now. So I finally gave in and I moved the chairs and told Maryn that I was gonna get her. She kept dashing back and forth behind the table and I moved the chairs to jump and slide across the table (this was kinda fun actually) and corner her. I was surprised when I finally caught up with her she surrendered...she was giggling and happy, I was happy! WHAT A CONCEPT!! I find that when I want things to go my way I end up hurting Maryn's feelings so I need to be a little bit more understanding of what she might be thinking...and I just need to lighten up. Life's too short. Thank you Matt for that little teaching moment.

3 Special Comments:

The Crazy Heads said...

It's always good to have little reminders like that. Don't worry, I need to be reminded daily. Your girls are adorable.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this!!! I take things SOOOO seriously... and we have such power struggles sometimes. Yep, acting like a 2-year-old, LOL. I tried making it a game, and it worked the first time! Mr. CrankyPants wasn't "game-able" during his diaper change, but it did distract him so that he started picking the fuzz out of his mouth (???) instead of kicking me...

Bri said...

ya, Gwen loves doing that sort of stuff too. Drives me NUTS!!! I was talking to a friend about how to dicipline young children the other day and she told me that in some cultures they don't dicipline until the age of 7!