In college way back in the day my roomies and I had a paper on our fridge that was called "Another One Bites the Dust". Now let me explain...I think it snows like 9 out of the 12 months in a year in Rexburg so all of our names were on this list and if at anytime you slipped or fell when walking on campus or wherever you would keep a tally next to your name of your spills. For some reason people would still wear their Doc Martins in the snow and the soles would freeze and make them fall more. The shoes were great for Hooky Bobbing just not for walking in the snow. I always prided myself in not falling too many times. I think I only had 3 tally marks next to my name.
For some reason this memory flashed back to me as I was laying at the foot of my cement steps in front of my house watching stars dance around my head. I don't fall often but when I do I make sure it's really good. Matt and I were rushing in and out of the house switching to watch kids so I could do my calling stuff and I had three bags of Christmas presents for the girls on my left arm and cookie plates on my right and the third step down was covered in ice. I know someone on my street heard me yelp and down I went. I think I even saw my feet level with my head on the way down. I was laying on the cold sidewalk thinking OH NO I DIDN'T JUST break my arm and a million reasons flashed in my brain why this would be a bad thing. I yelled for Matt to come out and when he opened the door his initial reaction made me think he thought I staged it. Later I asked if he thought I was joking and he said yeah but then you weren't moving. I like to goof around but hello I'm writhing in pain down here...I felt like the boy who cried wolf! I finally really get hurt and he doesn't believe me. Kinda funny. Anyway...I think the presents were spread out everywhere and the truffles were saved by the Glad press and seal...they will forever have my business. Matt picked me up and dragged me back inside at this point I couldn't feel my arm, my fingers were swelling up and my elbow was hurting. I got right inside the door and while Matt was letting go of me everything started getting dim and I blacked out. He picked me up again and I told him I was going to throw up and I think at that point he started freaking out because Macey was screaming and I couldn't stand up for 2 seconds. Somehow I made it upstairs then went down again so Matt threw me on the bed...good thing he's a strong guy because I'm a big girl. How embrassing I couldn't control my body...Matt said I went into total shock but I don't remember hitting my head. So much for trying to do my calling...no good deed goes unpunished.
Thank you to Erika for taking Maryn and everything else so we could get my arm checked out. All the x-rays looked good so I just have my little arm in a sling to take the pressure off of it. I feel like a moron for wearing it but if I don't I get sharp pains that go up my arm if I try to grab things...just lovely. It's been interesting trying to pick up Macey. I'll be getting a call today from the Doc because I guess sometimes with elbows you can get a hairline fracture that only the radiologist people can pick out but I'm feeling a lot better this morning so I don't think I'm too worried. Matt and I were talking last night and he said maybe this is God's way of telling you to slow down. I'll have a nice little rest up at Mom and Dad Murdocks this week and will be able to take it easy but it's so hard to slow down when you have so much to do. I guess I won't be skiing this Friday and MAN this post took forever to write with one hand.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Another One Bites The Dust
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 Special Comments:
Poor girl, it makes being a mom quite difficult when you only have one arm. I hope you feel better soon!
Aren't those "ice"burg memories wonderful? Memories that we will always laugh at or haunt us. And all those helpful skills we learned how to do, like the shuffle walk. If you tried to walk any other way you landed right on your booty. And I had many terrible spills. Anyways... get that arm better! You could milk this time to get out of a lot of chores and to be waited on hand and foot, give it a try! =)
OH NO! I can't imagine trying to pick up, nurse and carry a little one with an arm in the sling! I hope the Radiologist don't find anything! Radiologist are great at finding things :) I hope your arm gets better soon!
Oh man! I'm glad you're okay! Yeah, I was one of those Doc Martin wearing morons. I didn't bite the dust TOO often though. I recall Chantelle having her "row" completely filled up with tic marks.
Holy cow Debbie. I'm glad you are ok. I am especially glad that the truffles are ok because you make the BEST truffles I have ever had. Good luck with taking care of the kids with one arm and seriously, slow down girl.
Dang girl - that's crazy!! I'm so sorry you slipped and fell on the nice - never fun. Glad your arm wasn't broken. Take care of your self and have a fun Christmas!
I thought of something totally different when I read the title of your post. That phrase brings back memories of high school marching band for me. Our rival played that on the drums for thier marching cadence and we always chanted..."Duh, duh, duh, AF bites the dust" as they marched past. lol
Sorry to hear about your fall and everything. I hope you will heal quickly. jensonfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Ouch!!! Deb I really hope you are better soon! It sounds like Matt was quite the hero helping you out! Take care, miss those truffles!!!!!
oh man, I'm glad that you will be able to have some "time off" while family is around to help. I can't imagine taking care of Maggie with only 1 good arm.
Ouch!! Well it's Christmas time and who does slow down? NO one!! Enjoy the short relax, I hope you feel better soon!
I am the QUEEN of the biting the dust tick mark game. I looked in my journal, and I had 58 tick marks. I am such a KLUTZ. It is a good thing I live in Cali where there is no snow, or my poor kids would have brain damage from being dropped so much.
Wow! You're right- when you do something, you make sure it's done right :) I'm so sorry you got hurt. I totally understand not slowing down though. Looks like you're going to be forced to do it now! Hope you're feeling better, and call if you need any help!
Post a Comment