So I admit I'm not the best mother but I have been trying REALLY REALLY hard to keep my cool when Maryn has her breakdowns/tantrums/defiant rants and so on and so on. The other day I had about enough. She was trying to guilt me into letting her in my room while Matt was sleeping. Her whining turned into screaming so she got sent to her room. Once she's started on this path everything is tragic and her whole world caves in on her. She was upstairs hitting the wall and crying because I wouldn't give in. THAT'S IT NO MORE MRS. NICE MOM! I went running upstairs and in my mind I was yelling but I forced myself to tell her knock it off sternly. She started fake crying and the rest of the conversation/interaction went like this:
Mom: Oh that is so fake!
Maryn: (fake crying)
Mom: Are you done yet?
Maryn: (More fake crying then all of a sudden this little tear emerges)
Mom: Did you just squeak out a tear?
Maryn: (Huge smile comes over her face with a few giggles then returning back to her fake cry and frowny face and another tear pops out of the other eye)
Mom: Oh man you squeaked out another tear on the other side
Maryn: (Hysterical laughter trying to being masked by a forced frowny face)
Where on earth did she learn how to fake cry on demand???
At least the situation was diffused. Who knew humor would stop her tantrum and distract her enough to get her mind on something else to obsess about. I'll have to keep this humor tactic in the back of my Mommy brain for future use.

6 Special Comments:
I will have to try that one. Luckily our tantrums haven't gotten too bad but they are still annoying.
Man! Sign her up for acting class, that is a really hard thing to learn-real tears!! Good job keeping your cool too, I don't know if I could have done it.
Good job!!! :-) I never realized before that this is probably part of why we're counseled to keep a sense of humor about life - it doesn't just help us laugh about what we're going through! :-) Awesome, momma!
That is hilarious!! You've got much more patience then I do and I don't even have kids!! Way to go!
oh we are soooo there with Emma! She is the worst!
help me, help you, help me! LOL
Post a Comment