Monday, February 27, 2012

The Barkington's and Nursery Curtains

I've officially changed our last name to the Barkington's this last weekend with all the coughing.  Maryn is on the mend from her pneumonia but Buddy and I have been hit hard.  I've been completely worthless this last weekend as I watch my husband whisk around like Cinderella doing the dishes, fixing the washer, doing the laundry, vacuuming the house(I know I'm spoiled, what can I say!!!) fixing other things that need fixing even when he got the cold that we all have minus the fever(crossing our fingers for this week).  He's my Matt-Gyver.  A washer is not a good thing to go down when people are sick.  He did a temporary fix and hopefully the part will come in this week so it can work properly.  For the last 2 1/2 days he's been covering for me and I'm on my own today.  I figured I had about 2 hours in the morning until I'm completely exhausted so I got dinner thrown in the crockpot and cleaned the kitchen.  I always say as long as your kitchen is clean the rest of the house doesn't matter.  My only worry is Mr. Buddy because he can't cough up stuff like the adults can.  Hopefully his little body will fight with all it has to over power the virus.

On a more pleasant note, I tentatively finished the curtains for the nursery.  Now, I say tentatively because I made a HUGE mistake.  If I was to blog about how to make grommet curtains I could cover what all NOT to do.  I was able to hide all of my mistakes except for one.  So, instead of having nicely fitting curtains in the window I need to make another panel because the width is too short.  I've NEVER been good at calculating stuff.  I just had a horrible time trying to visualize everything.  Ya see, I didn't have any directions and I probably did them wrong anyway but they do look cute just not wide enough.  I told Matt maybe I could sell them for the amount I paid for them and make wider ones and he just told me to make one more panel.  All I need is one more panel but I can't stand having something uneven so I might make two.  We'll see...the window is big enough that I could leave the third panel collapsed in the middle and it would just look like 2 really big windows.  I can't even blame JoAnn's because they shorted me 6 inches but I still would've used the same amount of material according to my measurements.  I had a very tight space and was afraid with too much curtain it would cloud looking out the window.  The only thing I did get right was the length.  What threw me off was the inner lining.  I wanted to have lining for Buddy's room to keep in what heat we have a block a little of the light and the second problem was I didn't take in account that the grommets were going to take away a little of my width.  This is the first time I've ever made curtains so I'm proud of myself but bummed at the same time.  I guess I can't be perfect at everything.  So, if you ever get the itching to make grommet curtains and they say to use double the width of the window...DO IT!!  


3 Special Comments:

The Crazy Heads said...

they are beautiful!!!!! I love them. you did fantastic!

Undaunted said...

They are really cute! I love the fabric. Glad to here you are on the mend.

Shannon said...

ooh love it!!!