Matt and I have a little inside joke that no good deed goes unpunished. Whenever we try to be nice, or help someone out something always happens and sometimes it's not the most pleasant of circumstances.
This morning I was doing a neighbor a favor by picking up their child for school. So on the way out to get her I had the feeling to put my phone in my left pocket. When I went to put it in my pocket my keys were there and didn't want to scratch the face of it so I put it in the other side. Harmless enough. On the way out to get the little girl I rolled into their cul de sac and had a feeling to park on the bottom of their steep driveway but wagered oh she'll come out. No little girl so I put the emergency brake on and had the car in park and had the feeling to open the door to Macey's side. THANK GOODNESS I at least listened to that one. I don't like leaving the door open because it freezes my kids out but I did it today. I knocked on the door and the little girl was running late and her Mom invited me in and I took one glance at my kids and decided to wait by the car. Macey had a runny nose so I was tending her on the passenger side door when the van started sliding or rolling down the driveway(for the life of me I'm not sure how this happened...there was not enough snow to even slide and I'm pretty sure the tires were rotating and I was in park). My first instinct was to grab the side and the car was dragging me down the driveway. Have you ever tried to stop a sliding car on a incline in a dusting of snow. Doesn't work that well. So I tried to regain my balance and jump in the van because the car was headed towards a snow bank I finally got my footing and grabbed the van handles and threw myself in the car. The movement of the van going down the driveway nailed me in the side pretty good and I hopped through the van like I was a teenager again jumping over the seat and slamming on the brake with my foot. Just as I looked up the little girl was not more than a foot away from the van of where it was and I was so thankful she was not near the car or she would've gotten ran over.
After uncontrollable shaking and hyperventilating I went to open the door and couldn't because we missed the snow bank by about 3 inches. That could've been really bad. I don't even think my kids knew what was going on. So I fought back my freaked out beyond belief tears and drove them to school. After dropping the kids off went to call Matt and realized my phone took the brunt of the force of the car hitting me and my knee and ankle for that matter. This is why I can't ever get new things. So much for the new cell phone.
There is only one other time I can remember I have felt fear like that and both involved my kids being in danger. I hope I never have to feel that way again because it is a horrible, empty feeling in your stomach when you have no control that your kids are in danger.
Never a dull moment in the life of the Murdock's! I need to drown my anxiety with some chocolate cake...
Monday, January 31, 2011
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 Special Comments:
Oh no! That's awful! I'm glad you're all ok. Good reflexes too. I think you deserve the day off now :)
I believe in that saying as well... I am glad everyone was okay, except for your phone :(
I'm glad all ended well...for the most part. What a wild and scary experience. Enjoy the chocolate cake.
Holy seriously. I'm so glad you are all okay.
Holy goodness!!! Wow. I'm so glad you're all okay, and I'm so glad you're such a good listener to promptings!!! Wow...
Are you going to replace the cell phone? Hope you find a fun one! :)
wow scary, good thing you're a good listener. take a few days off
Post a Comment