Friday, July 23, 2010

Got an Issue

I don't share a lot of what I'm thinking on views like this BUT I was watching a segment online of a model who was considered a plus size model and she was enraged that a photographer had air brushed her photo to seem skinnier. Now I'll tell you the issue that I have with his. The model was about my size. In fact she had the same measurements as me and wore the same dress size. My issue is with the fact of her thinking that she was a plus size model when in fact she just had a normal curvy body like most of the "normal" women out there. We're in society right now where a normal looking "healthy" girl thinks that she is bigger than the norm. She said she was comparing to the industry but why do we have to compare at all. People come in all shapes and sizes and have all different histories of why they are the way they are. People need to stop listening to what they think the norm is and just try to create as healthy of a body as possible. I'm tired of looking at emaciated women on magazine covers in the store. That's not reality! That's unhealthy...and unhealthy to our young girls who are trying to recreate an unsustainable image without ruining their body and health.

4 Special Comments:

Shannon said...

AMEN, and AMEN!

Lisa Robbins said...

I agree with you and I actually was watching the same show you did. I did not think she was even big at all and did think it was sad that she thought that way about herself and that the media thought of her that way. It is too bad that the media makes us think, especially young girls, that they need to be super skinny and look like these fake models in these magazines. So annoying.

Meg said...

I agree. I heard about that and thought it was a joke. we are all different. I think that those that edit the pictures need to stop because they make the young girls think there ugly and fat and there not. I saw a show were there actually air brushing babies for parenting magazine. WHAT?

AJ said...

I'm with you on this issue. I was cutting out Hannah's bridesmaid dress and having the hardest time because the pattern was made based on those stupid faulty thought processes. I'm sorry, but a normal, healthy girl does not need 20 pleats AND an inward curve at the waist. The pleats alone are enough. Then I'm looking at my pattern. Argh! I got past size issues long ago. I don't care if I wear a large, extra large or 3x...as long as it fits right!