Friday, June 24, 2011

Mr. Congeniality

Matty never ceases to amaze me.  He has these wicked skills and knowledge and brain power that is just amazing.  Not only that but he has this charm that gets people to give him discounts all the time.  I just don't get it he can go into major retailers and get them to give them discounts off the original pricing.  


Yesterday I needed him to stop by the hardware store to get something to finish up my backyard project and I told him the best prices were at Lowes for this product but Home Depot was more convenient on his way home.  He called me when he got to the store and the product was 4 dollars more than the Lowes price.  He was not happy how expensive this product was but I didn't have any other options.  He got up to the cash register and the guy jokingly said $xx(a higher amount then the real price) is your total.  It took Matt a minute but realized he was joking and then in the spirit of joking he said back and I thought $xx.xx was a rip off.  Matt went to pay for the product and noticed that there was a 10% discount on the receipt.  He looked up at the cashier and the guy told him he gave him a discount.  What is it about my husband that people feel compelled to discount his merchandise.  Mind you this is not the first time.

Just a few months ago we were desperate to find some pants for Matt and as luck would have it there was a pair.  They had a sale buy two and you could save but we only could find one.  When we got up to the cash register he(half jokingly) said that if there would've been two he would've bought them to get the sale price.  Then the woman at the register said I'll give you a discount and gave him 25% his pants.

So, the next day I ended up finding another pair of pants somewhere else and they' had the buy 2 deal also and I tried the same trick and the response from the cash register was, "That Sucks!  I could call to see if they have one at another store but we couldn't give you the sales price then."  Both men and women will give him discounts.  I used to be able to do that but I guess I'm just not young enough anymore...maybe it's the whole 3 kids in tow thing.  So, if you ever need to get something for a lower price have Matt pay for it you might be able to get a deal on it.  

2 Special Comments:

AJ said...

Tom's like that, too. I'm too chicken to even try.

Anonymous said...

drew can do that too, he's even gotten us upgrades on hotel rooms, maybe it's a guuy thing, but with drew i think it's his accent