As promised here is my creation for the okra.
While I was taking pictures Matt wanted me to take a picture of him gagging as a joke but he really liked the meal.
We put the gumbo over a little bit of rice and Matt doused his in hot sauce. Poor Maryn had been throwing up this weekend from a nasty virus so she was more than happy with just rice but wanted a silly picture too of course.
Macey ate all of her meal except she picked out the shrimp. Believe it or not I have never cooked with raw shrimp before. I had a REALLY REALLY hard time taking off the shell. I saw the little legs on it and about flipped. I couldn't touch it. This is the girl that in fourth grade put her hand in a fish to harvest salmon eggs at the fish hatchery. I asked Matt to save me and he said no way you're on your own. I was making all kind of noises and Matt's like it can't be that bad. So I would grab the shrimp make sure it was in my hands and close my eyes while I ripped off it's shell and legs. I was fine if I didn't see it's legs or the tail. Matt was laughing and told me to just imagine Sebastian. Yah, he was not helping at all!
Just a few weeks before Matt had an Albino fish in the fridge which I thought he had put in the freezer. I was looking through the fridge with 4 eggs in one hand and I poked at the bag in the fridge and when I pressed on the bag I could see an eyeball that I had jabbed at. I screamed, my hand flew back sending the egg flying across the room. Maryn was laughing so hard at me. I like seafood...when it's cooked for me.
To end the night we had Heavenly Cheesecake topped with fresh Strawberries!!!



4 Special Comments:
i hate touching raw fish too, good for you that you went for it. it looks delicious. i love that you're so adventurous when it comes to cooking and not afraid to try new things
I am so glad it worked out better for you then it did for me. I use to skin shrimp all the time, you get use to it after a while.
Ha Ha! I'm picturing these scenes in my mind! Doug still hasn't done anything with our okra. It's just been so stinking busy at nights. Glad things turned out so good!
The dish looks delicious. I totally would have loved it. Maybe you can cook some for me and send it Fedex. :)
Post a Comment