Monday, December 7, 2009

Grown Up Christmas List

I think with every pregnancy my defenses are weakening and I'm not the hardened person I once depicted myself to be. For those you know me I'm not the most emotional person but lately little things have been setting me off. I dropped of the kids for pre-school today and was driving down the road and Amy Grant's song *love her* came on "Grown Up Christmas List" Kelly Clarkson does a really good version too. This is one of many songs of Christmas that I love to hear. The chorus kinda got to me...

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown up Christmas list

I couldn't help but think the people that are in my life at this time my family, friends and young women. Some of them are hurting so bad right now and you feel helpless. Especially around this Christmas season it's so hard to see people struggling. The holiday season is supposed to be magical and filled with love. You wish that you could take away the pain and the hurt both physical and emotional but it's not always that simple. Sometimes you're not sure if you should overstep your bounds or if they even want help. I miss the innocence of being a child and everything being perfect. I feel guilty sometimes for having such a blessed life. The only thing I can think of is to pay it forward. I have a challenge for everyone...it doesn't cost money and it's not something you can wrap. It's something you have to give of yourself. Whether it be your time, talents or just being a friend. Take an opportunity to reach out to someone for the holidays maybe you'll make that person's day a little sweeter, their outlook on life a little more hopeful. You never know how much you can change another person's life just by compassion. I know this may sound cheesy but I really believe that some of the ugliness in this world can be changed just by a kind hand. I am thankful to those who have shown compassion to me over the years. It has shaped me into who I am today. I hope everyone has a beautiful holiday season...it is a season of service and love.

4 Special Comments:

Shelley Gee said...

I totally agree! Deb, you are so sweet. I hope your holiday's are great also! Not that I know from personal experience, but I hear the crying thing doesn't last forever when you are pregnant.
Love ya!

Shannon said...

I bet we were listening to that exact same song at the exact same time, on the same radio station. I heard it this morning and it brought me back to the days when I loved listening to the Amy Grant version of it. The lyrics are awesome!

Shannon said...

(I should have read the rest of the post before my last comment...lol) I think it's a great idea to really pay it forward this season. That's what the spirit of Christmas is all about, when we recognize all that we have and give of our time, talents to others. Thanks for the beautiful reminder. :)

Lisa Robbins said...

That was well said, and it is always nice to have that reminder especially during this holiday season.