Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yes...Habanero's are HOT!!!

Now I know that Habanero's are the hottest pepper known to man. But did my husband believe me??? Of course he had to find that out for himself.

At the beginning of the summer I made a goof and instead of grabbing a green pepper plant like I had intended I grabbed a habanero plant. This little plant ended up producing one tiny little orange pepper. Looked harmless.

Over the weekend I took all of our tomatoes and onions and made salsa. Not bad for my first time. Matt insisted that I put the habanero in the salsa. I reserved a little bit aside and he convinced me to add more salsa to his little pepper so reluctantly I did. Matt chopped up his proud little pepper and had each of us smell it and he hadn't even taken a bite yet and started writhing in pain. He licked his fingers and his lips were on fire. I told Maryn not to touch the pepper and I turned my back and 2 seconds later she was making the funny noises that Matt was. Both of them were a sight to see. I couldn't help but smile. I had Maryn down some milk and Matt was on his own. For the rest of the day Matt kept touching his face or nose and some part of his face would start burning again because no matter how much he washed his hands he couldn't get the juice all the way washed off. So now we have burning hot salsa sitting in the fridge. If any one is brave enough to try it stop on by.

3 Special Comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh! Ouch! Matt sounds like Hubby - confident that hotter is better, LOL! ;-) Ouch, man... and poor Maryn! But that must've really been funny, too... I know I would've been cracking up while I poured the milk, LOL!

Shannon said...

That is hilarious!!! I've heard those things are crazy!! Would have been a funny sight to see. LOL!!

Anne Marie Corey said...

I knew you were hot, Deb, but I had no idea!