I'm in day 4 of recovery and things are going well. SOOOOOO much better than the first time. Besides the fact that I'm going crazy from being confined to my bed. 3 more days...I keep telling myself 3 more days. I actually got up today and took a shower. Oh lovely shower how I've missed you. The sponge bath the other day just didn't quite cut it although I couldn't have asked for sexier help. He does a really good job at washing hair. I couldn't lift my leg into the shower nor could I hold myself up but as long as my hair is clean I feel clean. I got smart today I slid down my 4 flights of stairs and got into my walk in shower and that proved to be a lot better. Hubby lifted me into the shower and I could at least balance myself against the walls enough to get the job done. He lifted me out over the little threshold and I'm good as gold.
Some of the differences I've noticed are I'm not in near as much pain as the first time. They put a nerve block in and I didn't feel the worst of the pain. It still hurts trust me but nothing as bad as I remember. Also, I have this cool little machine called a CPM that is constantly moving my leg up to 50 degrees. I noticed that when I was doing my exercises I can pull my leg into almost 90 degrees and still be okay pain wise. Before I was so stiff after the first PT visit I couldn't even get to 30 degrees motion. Also, I have this other cool little machine and hoisery called Ted Hose that keeps down my swelling in my legs. They have been wonderful! My knee doesn't look grotesque and mutilated. Cut up yes but not bad at all. I got so frustrated last night because as of yesterday I could only do half my exercises. I started crying because I felt so defeated. Today I was able to lift my heel up just a quarter of inch and I shouted for Matt to come take a look and he looked at me funny but he has no idea how much it takes to build back muscle. For a guy they just look at weights and their muscles bulk up for women it's not that easy and add surgically putting in a new ligament well it's seems darn near impossible sometimes.
I'm hopeful things will continue to improve over the next few weeks. Gotta get back because my family needs me.
Monday, September 30, 2013
So Far So Good
at 2:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 Special Comments:
So glad recovery's going well! (can you tell Katie's at a friend's? I can actually take a second on the computer before I get to tackling cleaning :) )
Post a Comment