Sunday, February 24, 2013

Women's Conference

I got the chance to go to a women's conference on Saturday.  It wasn't a if I was going to go...I had already made the decision to go and I'm glad that I did.  The classes were okay but the thing that made the whole thing worth it was one talk and that's what I needed.  The stake president's wife spoke about becoming faithful.  She said she loved the word becoming because it means that we haven't arrived where we are going yet.  So in essence we are not our finished product yet...hence our journey to becoming faithful.    She gave an example from a talk about about having a bowl.  She asked what does your bowl look like?  Is it fancy, can you not eat out of it because it's only for show, is it plain, is it shallow so it doesn't hold much?  Is your bowl right side up or turned upside down?  She asked what is your identity?  She related this how we need to be prepared to have our bowl right side up ready to receive and to catch everything that we can so when hard times come we can go to that bowl with that reserve and be able to take from it.  She also talked about that we need to be able to draw upon God's power when problems arise.  When you become faithful you are increasing your relationship with God.  I struggle with relying on God because for me I feel like I can do things on my own as an independent woman and trust is not my strong suit.  I've learned over and over again that it's not possible to do things on your own.  I have stubborn pride and barriers that I have created that slowly are being chipped away but I need to surrender those and let myself be the person that God sees me.  When you get to my age everything that is said in settings like this is nothing new but it's how it makes an impression on you at that certain moment that makes the difference in how you view things.

1 Special Comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! It's the depth of learning that is so awesome about repetition at "our age," LOL... it's so neat to see such dimension growing out of what we thought was a simple concept! :)

One thing that's become clear-ish to me lately is that we really don't do anything all on our own; even the breaths that we take are blessings from the Lord, so He's the one making our good works possible - does that make sense? Understanding that has taken the pressure off my self-demands (on good days, LOL) and let me stop stressing so much about those particulars. Even when I do it "all by myself," I didn't, really. So... a) whew! and b) "Look what a blessing the Atonement already is in my life! :) I'm learning with its power already. Maybe I'm not such a hopeless case!" ;)

Anyway, that's just something that crossed my mind to share as I read your post. Glad you had such a wonderful women's conference! :)