Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where she always shined

Thanksgiving is amongst us and the thoughts of dinner and family gatherings probably are dancing through your thoughts.  I have the dutiful task of cooking dinner this year.  Being that in almost 10 years of marriage I think this will be my first year...maybe my second.  Isn't that bad that I can't remember.  There's no pressure because it's just my little kiddos and hubby and they eat everything so I'm not too worried about cooking.  Of course Maryn will probably be in the kitchen with me which I will welcome the company.  She has shown so much interest in cooking and it's a welcomed thing to be able to teach her.  As long as I don't feel stressed I'm fine with her helping me so I think I'll start prepping everything on Wednesday.  I had some thoughts regarding Thanksgiving.  I don't have many childhood memories but one that sticks out in my mind was my mom's cooking.  My mom is probably one of the best cooks you'll ever come across.  Maybe I'm biased but it's true.  On thanksgiving she made the best rolls I have ever tasted and her pumpkin pies always turned out perfect.  We would always look forward to turkey roll sandwiches at night and turkey frame soup the next day with homemade cut noodles.  Nothing is better than that.  Maybe that is why I love to cook so much because of the stability of that memory.  We could always look forward to the best food ever and I know she spent hours and hours working on the meal just for our family because she loved us.  I'm going to attempt to make my mom's rolls maybe they'll turn out...maybe they won't but hopefully my kids will know that I make them with love for our little family.

1 Special Comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool, Debbie! :) What a neat memory... and what a blessing that your kiddos eat so well! :) Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving! :)