Friday, April 16, 2010

Lots of Thinking

We got back from the funeral last night and it was a good service. The service at the cemetery however was very moving. Three soldiers honored my grandfather for his service in World War II. A soldier on the hill played taps as they wrapped the flag to give to my Uncle. It was just wonderful.

One thing out of the whole day though has struck a chord. During the service Grandpa's loving Bishop gave some last words and showed the character of my Grandpa more than anything. The last day Grandpa was here his Bishop visited him at the hospital. He took his hand and asked, "Bro. Wickard, are you current temple recommend holder" and he replied "yes Bishop". Then he asked if he had kept his covenants he had made in the temple and Grandpa replied Yes I have. His last question to him was do you feel like you've accomplished everything you were set out to do on this earth and his reply was yes I'm ready to go home. He passed a few hours later.

I've had a lot of thoughts go through my head coming home that night. Most that I'll keep to myself but I'll share one thing. Grandpa and Grandma had a lot of things that they had left behind and more than ever the phrase you can't take it with you to the next life rang louder than ever and took on a whole new meaning. But the way you treat people, the way you live your life, the knowledge that you gain and the love you have for one another are eternal. My heart is saddened that I don't think some of my family has come to recognize that yet. Death can either bring out the best or worst in families. Family is the most important thing on this earth and it takes work to build those relationships and to nurture them.

I am thankful for Grandparents that new that and recognized it and cherished their family even though sometimes they didn't get that same respect in return. I sometimes wonder if I'll be able to fulfill all the responsibilities I have on this earth to accomplish. There is a bigger picture out there...sometimes we get so wrapped in problems, anguish, trials that we can't see the wonderful things around us and we take our daily lives for granted. We take the relationships we have for granted. Life is a gift and I hope all of us can use each day to celebrate that. Sometimes we just need to be reminded.

3 Special Comments:

Shannon said...

What a wonderful heart-felt post. Your Grandpa, and Grandma seemed like amazing people. What a blessing to have such great examples. :)

Donnie and Christina said...

It brought me to tears....it is a reminder of what is truly important and what isn't. I am glad you were able to go and wished we could have been there as well.

AJ said...

Hugs!