Monday, April 12, 2010

Grandpa Wickard

I knew it wouldn't be long after Grandma passed that Grandpa would follow but I didn't think it would be this fast. Within a matter of a few hours I got the call he was in the hospital and not long after passed away. Grandpa had been on my mind all week and he's finally home with my Grandmother. He missed her terribly and told my Uncle he just wanted to be with his wife again. I feel like in a matter a few months I have lost both my 'parents'. Both of them were such a strong force in my life and miss them so much. A few weeks back I was thinking and realized my Grandpa was a bigger part of my life than I realized. Growing up he was called as a branch president of a special ward in our area which we attended. I was turning eight and had the opportunity to have my Grandpa interview me for baptism. He let me come over and mow his lawn during the summer. He had a specific way of doing it and would outline the lawn for me and I would fill in the rest. He always had a beautiful vegetable and flower garden. He loved making things beautiful. I was amazed at his knowledge of flowers. Grandpa served in the WWII and I was one of the few that he would share stories with me. He showed me his uniform, Nazi coins, old pistols, German camera. He was a very giving man and was always thinking of others. He would silently do acts of service that no one would know about. I would force him to give me hugs and always told him I loved him. His reply would be yep. In the last few months he let me know how much he loved Matt and I. He had these cool multi-color suspenders that I remember from 20 years back that he still wore today. I'm going to miss him. He's reunited with his sweetheart and not restricted anymore from his ailing body.

3 Special Comments:

Shelley Gee said...

I'm so sorry Deb! Death is such a hard thing to deal with, even if you know it's coming. I don't know if I am ever going to get over my dad. I still cry every day because I miss him so much and I just want him here. He couldn't do much, but he could give an amazing hug and say "it's all going to be ok" and that always made me feel safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Beth said...

Deb, I am sorry about your grandfather, but what a love story that he passed this soon after your grandmother! Call me if you need anything. My prayers are with you.

Abe and April said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I do find it special when a spouse returns so near to each other.