Sunday, April 19, 2009

Catch of the Day

I got an excited phone call Saturday afternoon from my 4 year old. The only thing I could make out of it was fish...catch...wow...cat. Matt took Maryn fishing for the afternoon and I thought for some reason she was saying cat fish but she was telling me that she caught a fish. When Matt took over the phone he said that she caught a beautiful Rainbow Trout! They had the poles propped up on the beach and there was a tug so Matt called to Maryn to come over while he tried to save the pole from going in the water. He could not even explain how excited her little face got as she ran across the shore. She reeled in the fish and everything. I asked Matt to write in Maryn's journal since he was there and I wasn't. So here it is:

Maryn went fishing for the first time today. We (Maryn and Matt) left our house at about 3:00 in the afternoon after Deb’s fundraiser was finished. We went to Jordanelle reservoir to try our luck. I had never been there before and wasn’t sure where to go. After some exploration we found a trail that led down to the shoreline. We grabbed our gear and started walking. We eventually found a suitable place to start fishing.

Earlier in the day Maryn and I refurbished an old fishing pole that I had used as a young boy. After cleaning and restringing it with new line we did some practice casts in the backyard and Maryn reeled in the sinkers that were attached to the line.

As we sat on the bank of the reservoir I started thinking about how much I really hoped Maryn would be able to see a fish because this was her first fishing trip. I no sooner thought it then her pole started to wiggle. I picked it up and knew that a fish was hooked. I then had her take the pole and start reeling. All that practice in the backyard paid off. She reeled the fish in very quickly. We were both very excited. When I first picked up the pole I thought it was just a small fish but when I saw it coming up out of the water I realized what a nice fish it was. It was a beautiful rainbow trout about 14 inches long.
I can’t describe Maryn’s excitement. It was so fun to see her light up with thrill. I had her hold up the fish for a picture and then we released it back to the lake. It was the only fish that we caught. I can only remember a few times in my life when I was out-fished and Maryn out-fished me. I think she is going to have her daddy’s famous fishing luck.

HOW COOL IS THAT!!!






8 Special Comments:

Alison said...

That really IS a big fish!! Good job Maryn! Too bad they had to release it :(

Donnie and Christina said...

Great Job Maryn! Your better then most boys!!! Love you!

The Wendt Wagon said...

Wow! What a nice looking fish. I wish my husband was a fisher. I love fresh fish. What a cute smile on her face.

The Crazy Heads said...

That is so cool. I love that picture of her with the fish.

Undaunted said...

What wonderful memory! I loved fishing with my dad. What a great fish!

Unknown said...

That is SOOOOO cool!!! We HAVE to get Hubby & Kiddo out fishing sometime this summer... and what a great fisher Miss Maryn is!!! That's a gift, woman! :-)

Bri said...

Love the last shot of her with the fish. The mountains in the background and the look on her face make it look like it was a perfect day.

Anne Marie Corey said...

You go, big girl. Auntie Anne is so proud of you. We will have to start calling you the fisher girl.