Thursday, July 31, 2008

Youth Conference Brighton Camp

I'm still catching up on posts. I had the opportunity to go to Youth Conference with 8 of the youth...4 of which were Young Women. Bonese and I braved the task of being the leaders for the girls. The drive was actually not that bad and scenery was beautiful. When we got there they said there was going to be an easy hike and a hard hike. With the struggles I've had with the pregnancy I opted for the easy hike. In the midst of trying to figure out where this easy hike was and everyone I asked not knowing what I was talking about the stake leader said okay this is the easy hike up to Lake Mary let's go. So, being clueless as I am, I followed everyone. Never trust a leader when they say it's going to be easy. He only said it was easy to get the youth to go on it. The hike was a mile straight up and halfway through I had to stop and collect myself because I started to have contractions. BUT the hike was worth it...there was a lake at the top of the mountain that was peaceful and beautiful. Going down was a little easier than going up.


I love this shot because right when I was taking the picture someone was throwing in a rock.
My Laurels that went Noelle and Jordan.

We found out that the girls got the nice cabins but there was a catch. It was at the top of hernia hill. So every time we had to go the bathroom or get something from our cabins we had to make the trek up the hill.

That night there was a dance and some of the girls didn't want to go. Of course I used bribery. I told if they went and danced one dance that I would get them ice cream on the way home. They were good sports and even got me on the dance floor for 2 seconds when they dragged the leaders out. Before the dance everyone had dance class where they learned the cha cha.

I wasn't able to participate in all the activities and it was killing me. They had repelling, zip line and something called the perch. I got to see 2 of our youth and a leader take a leap of faith off of a tree that was about 30 or so feet in the air. The object is to climb a tree and get yourself situated on an unstable perch on top. Then leap off and try to grab a ring hanging in front of you. Even Bonese did it! I was so proud of her. This video is of Janell conquering the perch.


One of my favorite classes was the Lifeline. We were all blindfolded and had helmets on. At first, the only voice we heard was from one of the Bishops in the Stake. He told us to pray and meditate before he took us by the hand to follow a rope through the trees. We were not to let go no matter what. During the obstacle we were holding on to this thin rope the size of a shoe lace and on the path there was a voice telling you that you were going the right way. There were also voices telling you to turn around and to let go of the rope. I was doing okay until I wasn't sure if I was going the right way anymore and I had many voices that sounded similar telling me to do different things. I thought I knew what the correct voice sounded like but I wasn't sure anymore because the wrong voice sounded right also. I'll admit I got a little choked up at the end when a voice was telling me that I went the wrong way and then the right voice was telling me to wait when I had no more rope to follow. I was emotional when my hand was finally taken and I was told I had made the right choice and it was okay to let go and follow him. I still wasn't quite sure at that point but trusted him. How many times in life do we have noise all around us trying to steer us from what is right. Sometimes what is wrong may sound right and we won't be able to distinguish right away which is the right choice. Got me contemplating a lot of what I was doing in my life and how easy it would be to be taken away from what I know is right. I want to be able to make it to the end where someone will be waiting for me and telling me that I made the right decisions in my life to return back to a loving Heavenly Father.

Okay, enough sentimental stuff. We ended our two day event with a dinner/fireside/testimony meeting and the girls were exhausted and ready to go home. We had a fun time.


1 Special Comments:

Unknown said...

The "right voice" trail activity sounds really neat. There really is so much noise in life... and it's very cool that at some point, you just had to wait - just like life. Looks like it was a really wonderful time!!! :-)