Monday, April 14, 2008

Dirt Devil Rest in Peace

Our dirt devil of 6 years finally gave up the ghost and I've never been so overjoyed in my life!! That beast was heavy, smelly and I think put out more dust in the air than it would suck up. However, in it's early days it was a pretty reliable vacuum. I think it got too much use over the years. I think Christmas did it in with all the needles from the tree.

So this past weekend Matt and I went on a quest to find a new vacuum. We went to walmart to check out what was available. The first vacuum was not tall enough to even reach our Jolly Green Giant height. The second vacuum had a paw foot attachment(I guess it's the new thing) and every time Matt would put the vacuum upright the darn thing would go flying off. We were laughing so hard from the poor engineering of the vacuum one of the employees thought we were goofing off in the aisle. Not to mention all of the vacuums were about 25 pounds. If you had a piece of cleaning equipment that heavy wouldn't you think twice wanting to get excited about cleaning your house? So, we left empty handed still on the search. Saturday proved more successful. Matt's brother just bought a new vacuum and the salesman that each of the Murdock Men are gave 2 family demonstrations up at a family party. For some reason I think I missed those but decided to check into the Oreck vacuum. There is nothing fancy about this vacuum and it looks like it came straight out of the 1960's Sears catalog. We were in the store for about an hour and a half trying to make a decision. We are an all or nothing type couple so either we get the best we can get or find the cheapest available(usually we tend to fair on the cheap side). So after much deliberation we made the choice to get one of the vacuums. We had to rush home to go to the temple and didn't have time to test it out. By the way, they give you a 30 day trial. If you're not happy with it's performance you can take it back. When we came back that night around 10:00 instead of going straight to bed Matt stole my idea and started vacuuming the house. He told me to test it out and I wouldn't give it back after that. After being halfway done with the house Matt fought me for the vacuum and won. Now who argues about who gets to vacuum? He finished the rest of the house and after about 45 minutes the whole house was groomed. This thing fluffed our carpet so nicely that it almost looked new and it felt nicer to walk on.

The next day when we got home from church Matt picked up the little "ghostbuster" pack for the detailing and did the rest of the house. Neurotic? Maybe! But these vacuums sure can clean. The lady at the store said that we would look for things to clean and Matt proved that theory quite nicely over a 2 day span. The thing I love most about this vacuum that it is only 8 pounds. Now we just have to figure out a proper burial for our Dirt Devil.

1 Special Comments:

Unknown said...

What a hoot! I hear those Oreck commercials, and they're so tempting! I'll have to see how much they run, because backpack vacuums are super-nice! :-) We do like our Dirt Devil at the moment, but we know it won't last forever ;-).