Sunday, October 14, 2012

In Mason's Words

We have been struggling with Buddy's speech.  At his 2 year check up it's just what you want to hear that your son is behind in his speech.  Tell us something we didn't know.  Because of his non-expressive speech not being present we have battled with being able to understand him.  I was starting to worry that maybe there was something wrong but then he tries to say his words.  You ask him to say please and he says Plea then you try to get him to say the second half SE and he'll do it separately just not together.  He's only 2 and he'll come up to shirts I'm wearing and perfectly tell me which letters are on my shirt but the kid won't piece two words together or one for that matter.  Yesterday, we were celebrating sissy's birthday party and it was during his naptime and he knew that we were having fun downstairs with all of sissy's friends and he wanted to be apart of it.  We finally let the boy out and during the cupcake time he was anxiously trying to find a place to sit running back and forth and I asked him if he wanted a cupcake.  In his best monotone little voice he said his first sentence "I EAT CAKE"  I guess I just needed something that he liked to have something to talk about.

2 Special Comments:

The Jensens said...

Elijah is the same way. In fact he is so bad he is in speech therapy. Since he has gotten tubes in his ears (due to non stop ear infections) his speech is improving. He is just now saying 20 words but struggles with the same thing of not putting words together. I feel your pain of not knowing what you kid wants because they cannot vocalize it. It is funny that they will pick up what they want to when they want to. Cake is a big motivator :)

AJ said...

I was a slow talker, but by the time I was four I was just fine and speaking full sentences. My mom said I developed my own sign language during that time. Tim had trouble making sounds correctly and needed speech therapy. I remember asking John what Tim was saying sometimes. John could understand him 90% of the time. I could only understand 75% of the time and people outside our family could only understand 50% of the time. Just between you and me...his mission worked wonders. He talks so much more now. LOL