Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Learning to do Without

I've been presented with the challenge by hubby to try to cook wheat and dairy free.  Ya see we're testing to see what foods are causing him to not feel well while we're getting him better and let me tell you IT'S DIFFICULT!  I think to myself a yummy bowl of soup in a bread bowl would be nice.  Then I'm like oh yah no bread unless I want to pay a fortune in gluten free bread but then there is always the you can make it yourself way which is time consuming.  I'm a nice wife and have been trying to find the substitutes for him rice flour, millet flour...you  name it.  I've even made quinoa energy bars.  Those were good in a really weird way.  I have a whole new respect for people that actually can't have any wheat products at all.  The dairy thing I've been dealing with that forever so that's nothing new.  But sometimes you just need a nice big bowl of pasta.  It's comfort food!  Maybe someone will just have to go out to eat with me to Olive Garden or Johnny Carino's.  Lunch anyone?!?!  I'm missing my pasta right now.

3 Special Comments:

AJ said...

I've tried to go gluten free in the last couple years. I found a good recipe for bread and have some other ideas if you'd like me to pass them on. Oh, and there's a pasta that is quinoa and corn. It's in a green box in the health food section of Fred Meyer. It says "Ancient Harvest Quinoa" and "Supergrain Pasta" on it. I hope Matt starts feeling better. Email if you want the bread recipe or any other ideas.

Lisa said...

Oh man, I can't imagine how hard that would be. I don't know how I would live without pasta. I really like pasta a lot!!! I know you were probably being sarcastic, but I would totally go with you to Olive Garden! YUM!!!

Alison said...

Ooh, we should've had pasta today! I should try to get some recipes from my aunt - my uncle is gluten free diet. I'll try to remember to ask her Saturday.